History and Heritage
Since 1815, there has been a group of Catholics in this area who have been praying and working together.
- Beginning in1823 they met formally as a congregation in a 35’ x 25’ log house on the east side of Dardenne Creek, near what is now called Olde Towne.
Mostly French or French Canadian, they called their church St. Peters. But because the Dardenne Creek tended then, as now, to flood, it was often difficult for parishioners, most of whom lived on its west side, to get to church. For this reason a new church on the west side of the creek was finished in 1834 by the parishioners who donated their services.
- During the years from 1840 on, many German immigrants came into the area. New parishes were started in Old Monroe, Josephville, O’Fallon, and Cottleville from the growing parish of St. Peters. To accommodate this growth a new (the third) church was built in 1855-56 on the hill where the parish is now located.
In 1856, the name of the parish was changed to All Saints.
- In 1865, the area itself began to be called St. Peters instead of Dardenne. Finally in 1874, the growing numbers – up to almost 125 families – brought on the construction of our present church where the first Mass was celebrated in 1876 and the early interior decorations were completed for the dedication on May 21, 1882.
During these years the pastors were Frs. Nicholas Staudinger and Conrad Rotter, who was responsible for building and decorating the present church.
- From the 1870’s into the 1960’s, this area remained fairly stable in population. The parish was an active one, boasting numerous organizations, and hosting an annual picnic at the Mexico Road grounds purchased in 1880.
Pastors during this period included Fr. Nicholas Staudinger (1877-1894), who completed the building of the present church, Fr. John L. Gadell (1899-1919), J. H. Girse (1919-1956), and Elmer A. Koenen (1956-1975).
During this period, what we now call the “old school” was built (1919) to replace one built in 1870. A convent was constructed in 1915 to provide housing for the sisters who had been living in the 1870 school. A rectory was built in 1903. The first additions to the school were completed in 1959/1962.
- The 1960's - The parish continued as a small but vigorous farming community until the 1960’s. Then the population and the economy of the area boomed. At one point the parish grew to 1500+ families, but was soon divided up among the new parishes founded in the area of St. Peters and St. Charles.
During these years, Frs. Louis Kertz (1975-1981), Robert Argent (1981-1986), Ron Chochol (1986-1991), Michael Henning (1991-2005) were pastors and Donald Wester (2005 – present).
- In 1977, a six classroom addition to the school was built. In 1979 a rectory was built to replace the 1903 rectory, and is now the current Parish Office.
The Pastoral Council began functioning in May 1983, and the Board of Education in May 1987.
In 1988 the Parish Center and Gymnasium were constructed as additions to the school providing much needed space for parish life and activity.
A new rectory was completed in 2008 on the site of the former convent.
100 Year Anniversary Book 1923
In 1923 for the centennial of All Saints Parish the following commemorative book was published to celebrate 100 years of faith.
The edition is divided into sections that provide an exciting glimpse into the history of the parish and the times.
Again in 1998 the parish celebrated 175 years of faith. History continues in this edition of parish book celebrating All Saints and those continuing our great traditions
A Year to Remember and Celebrate
Exploring Our History
Special Thanks, Notes, and Sponsorships